Our quick guide to gutter maintenance.
As the days start getting shorter and the leaves on the trees start turning gorgeous shades of yellow and orange, you’re probably groaning inwardly as you realise that this only means one thing. Your gutters are going to overflowing in a matter of days. This is your least favourite chore, the bane of your existence. But, unfortunately, it’s vital for the health of your home.
Why is it so important to maintain your gutters? Because gutters clogged with leaves, silt and bird nests can lead to termites, bugs and other pesky critters. Clogged gutters can also cause water to pool on your roof which can lead to leaks, or worse. Further, neglecting your gutters can also result in damage to your eaves, windows, doors and foundations due to prolonged water flooding.
Fortunately, it’s easy to prevent all this. It may not be the most enjoyable job in the world, but follow our step-by-step guide to pristine autumn gutter maintenance.
What you’ll need:
- Garden bucket
- Work gloves
- Old clothes
- Hose with pressure attachment
What you need to do:
- Plan to start when conditions are clear. It’s safer this way.
- Start at the down pipes. Aim to do a short length of gutter at a time. Use your gloved hands to scoop up the muck and into your bucket (be careful of exposed metal edges).
- It’s time to bring out the hose. Once you’ve cleared all the gutters using the above steps, use the hose to clear out anything you might have missed. Don’t forget to check your down pipes for blockages while you’re at it.
- Rinse and repeat for each length of gutter.
So while that’s a fairly straightforward process, it can be exceptionally time consuming. If you’re struggling to find the motivation or time to get it done, there is another option. Great Barrier Leaf gutter guard makes messy, time-consuming regular gutter cleaning history.
Made from UV stabilised high density polyethylene, it fits easily and neatly into your existing gutters to reduce leaf entry by a HUGE 99%. Plus it’s 100% effective in keeping those nesting birds from your roof.
You’ll never need to worry about your gutters again.
Want your lazy Sundays back? Talk to us on 1300 540 540 – we’ll help you get your gutters super clean and install Great Barrier Leaf for you!